The growth of photovoltaic markets
1. Early commercial photovoltaic applications were…
- led by Alexandre-Edmond Becquerel.
- part of the industrial revolution.
- for satellites during the space race.
- for pocket calculators.
2. Which of the following was NOT a factor contributing to the increased use of photovoltaics between the 1970s and 2017?
- Sharp decreases in the supply of the raw material of silicon
- Development of small, low power solar cells for calculators and watches
- The oil crisis in the late 1970s
- NGO programs incentivizing photovoltaic training and installation
3. Looking at electricity use as a whole, about what percentage of all electricity used in the world is produced by photovoltaics?
- < 2%
4. Which statement is the most accurate comparison of the development of hydropower, photovoltaics, and wind as energy sources globally?
- Growth and investment in all three sources is about equal
- Investment in hydropower is overtaking both wind and PV
- While wind is stagnant, PV is one of the largest areas for growth, with hydropower coming in second on the renewables side
- While hydropower is fairly flat, PV is one of the largest areas for growth, with wind coming in second on the renewables side
5. Ground based photovoltaics have all of the following advantages EXCEPT:
- They are integrated into the structure of new buildings
- They can be used at sites where habitable structures cannot be placed
- They are capable of large utility scale types of installations
- They adapt well to tracking technology, allowing them to capture more sunlight
6. On grid photovoltaics
- Produce AC electricity directly
- Require batteries
- Are the most common type of photovoltaic for commercial and residential applications
- Don’t require a sine wave inverter
7. Which country has the largest installed capacity of photovoltaics?
- United States
8. In the United States, which form of renewable energy is forecast to have the greatest amount of capacity added between 2025 and 2050?
- Natural gas
9. How much less do modern commercial photovoltaic cells cost per Watt compared to the early PV cells?
- $70 per Watt
- $98 per Watt
- $2 per Watt
- $58 per Watt
10. Which energy source currently accounts for the majority of global electricity production?
- Fossil Fuels
11. Which part of the world has the most countries without national and/or state level renewable energy policies?
- North America
- South America
12. As part of an overall installation, in which of the following scenarios would inverters have the highest cost relative to the total cost of the panels?
- Microinverters in a residential rooftop solar array
- String inverters at a utility scale solar farm
- String inverters in a commercial building flat rooftop array
- String inverters in a residential rooftop solar array
13. Which of the following is an example of deployable solar?
- 3 kW system of flexible PV panels that are packaged in large rolls which can be spread out on the ground to power a tent based field station
- A 4 kW array on an on-grid house with a battery backup system in case of power outages
- A 20 W panel attached to a permanent stop sign with LED lights at a rural road intersection
- 2 kW system attached to the roof of a barn at a farm that is off the electrical grid
14. The growth of photovoltaic electrical generation in the United States is being driven by what type of new additions?
- Deployable PV systems
- Residential solar arrays
- Utility scale solar farms
- Off-grid residential systems
15. Who observed the photovoltaic effect first?
- Bell Labs
- Alexandre-Edmund Becquerel
- General Electric (GE)
- Solar Energy Basics Coursera Week 1 Quiz
- Solar Energy Basics Coursera Week 2 Quiz
- Solar Energy Basics Coursera Week 4 Quiz
- Solar Energy Basics Coursera Week 5 Quiz